Choptank River Sunset
This image features slices of time that reflect and refract the story of the Choptank River Light.
The sunset over the Choptank River shines through a replica fifth-order Fresnel Lens that began operation in the Choptank River Light in 1881 replacing a sixth-order lens that had been in service since 1871.
The Choptank River Light has the distinction of being the only transplanted Lighthouse on the Bay. Shown is a replica Cherrystone Bar Light from Cambridge that was completed in 2012. The original Cherrystone Bar Light, in service near Cape Charles Virginia, was replaced with an automatic acetylene-fed lantern in 1919. That Lighthouse superstructure was transported to the Choptank River and after repairs and updates to the the skeleton structure and foundation, was placed into service in 1921. It remained in service until 1964 when the superstructure was removed. Remaining is a small white house on piles that flashes white every 4 seconds.
Underlying these notions is a is a composite of C.C. Yates that defined the natural oyster bars in the lower Choptank River in the early 20th century.